Home Care Instructions for Your New Denture(s)
Provided by Julie M Gillis DDS Phone: (970) 242-3635
Dentures can make a huge difference in your smile. You can look better, feel better and eat better. It is important to properly care for your denture and your mouth. Here are some of our office‘s favorite home care instructions for your denture.
- If you get any sore areas, a very soothing mouth rinse can be made by mixing ¼ tsp baking soda, 1/8 tsp salt, with 1 cup very warm water. Use frequently.
- Clean your denture with a denture brush and liquid soap. Clean your gums with a soft brush and mouth rinse or water. Don’t forget to clean your whole mouth and your tongue.
- Do not try to adjust your own denture. Your denture could become loose if too much is removed!
- Call our office to schedule an appointment to adjust your denture. Wear the denture for at least four hours prior to your adjustment appointment so that we can see the sore areas and adjust your denture more accurately.
Regular Denture Care as recommended by our office:
- Your dentures should be removed during sleep to allow better blood circulation to the gums and minimize bone loss.
- Always keep the dentures in water or cleaning solution when they are removed. Scrub your dentures gently daily using a specialized denture cleaner or liquid soap. Clean your gums and mouth daily too.
- The body is always changing. Your gums will also change. We recommend that you have your dentures and your mouth checked yearly at our office. We will clean your denture and provide an oral cancer examination.
- Over time there will be some shrinkage of the bone and gums. Your denture(s) may feel loose. You may use a denture adhesive to help your denture feel more stable.
- Your denture may need to be relined in the future to fit more securely against the gums. During a reline, material is added to the underside of the denture. Our office can usually do a reline in one day.
We love improving a person’s smile, self esteem, and ability to eat! We take great pride in the construction of your new denture and the follow up care you receive. if you have any questions about dentures or any other dental procedure, please call our office and we would be happy to help! Our office sees patients from Moab, Utah; Fruita, Grand Junction, Palisade, Aspen and Orchard Mesa, Colorado and many areas in between! We appreciate the opportunity to serve you!
Yours for better dental health,
Julie M Gillis DDS
Restoring Smiles/Restoring Health