How Long Do Tooth Crowns Last?
I just had a crown placed at my dental office and I was wondering this, how long do tooth crowns last?
How long do tooth crowns last is a very good question! And, it is a question without an easy answer. In our office we like to tell our patients that how long do tooth crowns last depends on three things:
- How well your dentist has taken care of your tooth and the use of a high quality dental lab, and high quality dental materials
- How well you take care of your tooth. Do you brush and floss? Do you have any bad habits like clenching or grinding? Do you use your teeth as tools? Do you like to eat ice or very hard foods or candies? This could things could shorten the life of your crown, and
- Genetics. Unfortunately you and your dentist have no control over this. Some peoples’ teeth are just stronger and less prone to decay. Dental crowns and fillings just last longer due to the surrounding teeth, saliva, gums, and bone.
So, to make your crowns last as long as possible, you should select a dentist that is willing to give you some kind of guarantee. You should be able to view photos of that dentists completed crowns for their patients (not just stock photos that they have). You should carefully evaluate your habits and your responsibilities to see that you are doing everything you can to make your crowns last. Here are some things that you personally can do:
- See your dentist regularly – usually every six months – for an examination and cleaning.
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly and thoroughly
- Avoid long contact times between your teeth and anything you eat or drink that bacteria also eat and drink!
Dental insurance will usually say this about how long do tooth crowns last. Insurance will usually pay to replace defective crowns once every 5 to 7 years. We think they should last a lot longer than this! If the reason your crown fails has anything to do with the work of the dentist or the dental laboratory, the problem will usually show up within the first two years. In our office we guarantee your new crown for 5 years if you see us for regular examinations and cleanings.