Our office’s newest dental laser is a called a Waterlase®. This unique solid-state, all-tissue laser uses advanced laser and water atomization technologies to safely and effectively perform soft-tissue plastic surgery, tooth cavity preparations, periodontal therapy, biopsies, bone reshaping, treatment of canker sores, sensitive roots, and more!
The Waterlase is non ionizing radiation with no effect on intercellular DNA.
- Benefits of Laser Treatment with Waterlase®
- Hard Tissue Procedures
- Soft Tissue Procedures
- Pain Relief & Healing Benefits of Laser Dentistry
- Benefits of Laser Photobiomodulation/Low Level Laser Therapy
What Does the Waterlase® Laser Mean for Your Treatment?
- Your next small cavity may be able to be done with no shots, no drill, and high-tech coolness! The laser floats over the tooth and doesn’t even have to touch the tooth to be effective.
- We can remove that mole that has been bothering you!
- Let’s say your teeth look uneven because the gums are not shaped correctly—we can correct that easily and comfortably!
- Maybe you have periodontal disease and you have been told that you need a referral to a periodontist. The periodontal treatment recommended will involve cutting the gums away from the teeth and exposing the bone to better clean the roots. We can do much of this now with Waterlase REPAIR Laser Periodontal therapy—which provides more comfortable treatment/healing, less downtime, and potentially an even better outcome!
- We can treat root sensitivity with this laser and make it so you can once again brush your teeth without wincing!
- Ugly cold sore starting to form on your lip? These skin lesions can be treated with either our Waterlase or our Epic 10™ diode laser to provide faster healing. The area will instantly be more comfortable following treatment!
Hard Tissue Procedures with Waterlase®
The hard tissues that we can treat with the Waterlase are teeth and bone. The Waterlase provides optical energy to atomized water droplets on the moist surface of tooth and bone. The water present in these tissues absorbs the laser radiation and tries to expand, causing tiny bits of the defective tooth or bone to be removed with a spray of water. The water also keeps everything cool and comfortable and the laser provides a numbing effect for the nerves.
We have completed Waterlase fillings on children and adults and all have said that the procedure was easier and more comfortable than the dental drill. Sometimes tooth decay extends below the gums and we can use the Waterlase to gently expose the area (with no bleeding!) so that we can place a restoration and save your tooth.
When we complete periodontal laser therapy, our goal is to prevent the irreversible loss of your jaw bone. The Waterlase assisted new attachment procedure is a way to actually promote healthy new attachment and bone growth in treated periodontal pockets. The main goal remains reducing the pockets between the teeth and gums so that you can clean these areas and not permit aggressive, harmful bacteria to multiply there.
Soft Tissue Procedures with Waterlase®
The Waterlase applies optical energy to soft tissues to be able to cut without a blade and often without bleeding or any discomfort. Healing is also more comfortable. Water is used for cooling and hydration. As an added benefit, the laser disinfects the tissue during the treatment.
The Waterlase is a great alternative to blade surgery for removal of a mole or a soft tissue biopsy. The area often heals with a smooth ‘beauty mark’, which most people find better than having the mole.
Ever heard of being tongue-tied? This means that the strong fibrous attachment that holds the tongue to the floor of the mouth is attached too far forward. Some patients with this condition have trouble pronouncing certain words and they may have issues with sleep apnea. Children with this condition may have trouble eating and swallowing normally. The Waterlase can remove or release this fibrous attachment and mobility of the tongue is instantly improved.
Some people have a ‘gummy smile’ or they show more gums when they smile than they want to. The Waterlase can be used to gently sculpt the tissue and even the bone below the tissue to improve this condition.
We can use this laser to uncover a tooth that is having difficulty erupting, or to eliminate a pocket of infection almost anywhere in the mouth.
What Can Our Lasers Do for Pain Relief and Healing?
The laser promotes biostimulation which does the following wonderful things for you:
- Enhance development of new blood vessels
- Enhance collagen formation
- Enhance new bone and tissue growth
What Is Laser Photobiomodulation/Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT)?
What is the role of the Epic 10™ diode laser in symptom reduction and healing?
- Bathe treatment area in light to decrease swelling and pain
- Reduce inflammation
- Regenerate connective tissue
- Increase vascularity
- Increase Beta endorphin release
- Stimulate formation of ATP to speed healing
- Boost the cell metabolism and proliferation of fibroblasts and osteoblasts by +150%
- Improve immune system function
- Decrease inflammation and edema
- Use after any procedure for wound healing
- Use high levels outside of the mouth and low levels inside the mouth.
Do you have questions about laser dentistry? Contact our practice to learn more and schedule your appointment.