Tooth Reshaping For A More Attractive Smile
This blog discussed the option of tooth reshaping for a simple and permanent smile makeover. Tooth reshaping is also called a bite adjustment and this treatment is done for several reasons:
- Smooth a rough edge of a tooth that is bothering a patient
- Eliminate a ‘high spot’ that was the result of a recent filling or crown
- To eliminate bite interferences that could lead to excessive tooth wear or discomfort, and
- To reshape teeth to be more attractive which is what this blog addresses.
When can we simply reshape teeth for a better appearance? This type of ‘smile makeover’ may save you a lot of time and money if the correct preexisting conditions are present! Our office is very conservative and we advise all of our patient’s about their options including the important fact that once a portion of a tooth is removed, it is gone forever!
The following are usually good indications for tooth reshaping:
- There is adequate existing length to allow reshaping without making the teeth too short.
- The reshaping will take place mostly in enamel or the outer layer of the teeth.
- The reshaping will not significantly alter the appropriate function of the teeth.
- An immediate improvement is desired and the benefits and limitations are fully discussed and understood.
Poor indications for tooth reshaping are as follows:
- Existing teeth are already too short
- Existing tooth structure is needed for future bonding
- Tooth reshaping would lead to increased sensitivity
Our office would be happy to review your options for treatment!