Sometimes Adult Teeth Develop Too Small, What Then?
When there are the right number of teeth but there are several gaps between the teeth, it may be because the teeth are just abnormally small. This can really detract from the aesthetics of a smile! Tiny teeth with gaps are very cute in little kids – not so much in an adult smile! Dentists will probably tell you that it is helpful for there to be gaps between a child’s baby teeth to allow for better alignment of the larger adult teeth as they come in. When a child’s teeth are all neatly lined up it usually means that there will be crowding problems when the adult teeth erupt.
There are several options to correct small teeth!
- Braces can bring the teeth closer together but this may interfere with the occlusion or may even be less esthetic if the teeth are really small
- Porcelain veneers can be used to make teeth appear longer or wider as needed. This approach can be very conservative and can ‘instantly’ change a smile
- Bonded restorations or direct veneers can be completed where a dentist adds tooth colored composite material to the front and sides of the teeth as needed to achieve the appropriate size
- All porcelain crowns may be needed if the lingual surfaces of the teeth also need to be restored for ideal function or aesthetics.
- In some cases extra teeth are incorporated into the smile with implants or a removable partial denture.
- Sometimes a combination of the above treatments is the best option.
Our office would love to help you decide the best treatment option for you. In our Grand Junction, Colorado office, we believe every patient has the right to hear what options are available and to be as comfortable as possible for their dental care. If you would like more information, our office’s phone number is 970-242-3635.